DGCA starts safety audit of airports, airlines in a phased manner

wayne


The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has started safety audit of airports affected by the monsoons and of airlines in a phased manner, beginning with Air India and SpiceJet.


In the wake of the plane crash in Kozhikode, “has started the safety audit of airlines and 12 airports affected by the monsoon, as of now. Audit of airlines to be done in a phased manner, beginning with Air India and Spice Jet,” the said.



Safety audits have begun at these airports where services get affected during monsoon, the said.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Railways cancels tender for 44 Vande Bharat trains after Chinese JV bids

wayne


The railways said on Friday it has cancelled the tender for manufacturing 44 semi-high speed Vande Bharat Express trains, which was floated last year.


Last month, when the tender was opened, a Chinese joint venture firm — CRRC Pioneer Electric (India) Private Limited — had emerged as the only foreign player among the six contenders for the supply of electrical equipment and other items for the 44 train sets of 16 coaches each.


The JV was formed between the China-based CRRC Yongji Electric Company Limited and the Gurugram-based Pioneer Fil-med Private Limited in 2015.


“Tender for manufacturing of 44 nos of semi high-speed train sets (Vande Bharat) has been cancelled. Fresh tender will be floated within a week as per Revised Public Procurement (Preference to Make in India) order,” the Railway Ministry said in a tweet.


The national transporter, however, did not specify the reason behind the cancellation of the tender.


Sources said the railways is keen to ensure that a purely domestic entity bags the tender and once it was felt that the Chinese JV was a frontrunner for the project, it was scrapped.


Indian

US ‘Golden State Killer’ Jailed For Life

wayne

A US former policeman dubbed the “Golden State Killer” apologized to his victims Friday as he was jailed for life without the possibility of parole for a brutal decade-long crime spree that terrorized California.

Joseph James DeAngelo Jr, 74, who confessed to 13 murders and dozens of rapes in the 1970s and 1980s under a deal to avoid the death penalty, sat impassively behind a face mask in the Sacramento courtroom as his sadistic crimes were listed.

“I’ve listened to all of your statements. Each one of them. And I’m truly sorry to everyone I’ve hurt,” said DeAngelo.

Judge Michael Bowman then handed down the “absolute maximum sentence the court is able to impose under the law.”

DeAngelo, who has three adult daughters and grandchildren, was not arrested until 2018, three decades after the “Golden State Killer” had last struck.

The manhunt finally ended after investigators successfully matched DNA from crime scenes with a family genealogy database used by his relatives.

“The survivors have spoken clearly — the defendant deserves no mercy,” said the judge, to thunderous applause in the courtroom.

DeAngelo’s known attacks began in 1975, initially in the Sacramento area of central California, before spreading out across the

Subscribe Now