More COVID-19 cases are expected on a ship anchored off Western Australia’s north-west coast after two crew members tested positive.…
The Supreme Court on Friday suspended the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) for at least a month as it failed to appoint a member (law).
The apex court said the earlier judgment of August 28, 2020, would continue to remain in force till October 26 or till the time a member (law) is appointed. Case hearing at CERC had already halted since August 28. The matter pertains to a Supreme Court order in April 2018 when it directed all state electricity commissions to appoint a member from the field of law with qualifications of a high court or district judge.
However, the ministry of power, which appoints members in the CERC, failed to do so. The ministry advertised for vacancy of member (law) for CERC in April 2019 and October 2019. But the selection committee did not finalise any candidate and cancelled the process. Meanwhile, two other non-law members – I S Jha, former chairman and managing director, Power Grid Corporation, and Arun Goyal, retired secretary, Government of India, were appointed.
A contempt petition was filed by K K Agarwal and argued by advocate Ravi Sharma in August against the
National Aluminium Company Ltd (Nalco) on Friday said it has entered into a pact with Numaligarh Refinery Ltd for long-term supply of calcined petroleum coke to ensure raw material security.
The memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed on Thursday, Nalco said in a BSE filing.
The pact “was signed…between National Aluminium Company Limited and Numaligarh Refinery Ltd (NRL) for long-term supply of CP Coke to ensure raw material security,” the filing said.
Nalco is an integrated primary producer of aluminium.
Numaligarh Refinery Ltd is a public sector oil company in Assam.
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
The World Health Organization warned Friday that coronavirus deaths could more than double to two million if infection-fighting measures are not kept up, as European countries tightened the screws faced with mounting cases.
Global deaths had reached 985,707 according to an AFP tally around 1800 GMT Friday, from more than 32.3 million cases.
“One million is a terrible number and we need to reflect on that before we start considering a second million,” the WHO’s emergencies director Michael Ryan told reporters when asked how much higher deaths could mount.
But he added: “Are we prepared collectively to do what it takes to avoid that number?
“If we don’t take those actions… yes, we will be looking at that number and sadly much higher.”
The WHO warning came as Spanish officials expanded a lockdown in and around Madrid on Friday to cover one million people.
Madrid’s health authority said new rules largely banning tens of thousands from leaving their districts — in addition to the 850,000 already living under similar restrictions — would be enforced from Monday.