BPCL pays up for defaulting Videocon Industries in Brazil oil block

wayne


State-owned Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd (BPCL) has been forced to pay for its defaulting partner Ltd after it had relied on a rarely used model to acquire stake in five oil blocks in Brazil, sources said.


In September 2008, and had formed a 50:50 joint venture to acquire a Brazilian oil exploration firm for $283 million.



The two firms formed an incorporated joint venture IBV Brasil Petroleo Limitada to acquire Encana Brasil Petroleo Limitada from Canadian gas producers EnCana.


Sources said usually such acquisitions are done through unincorporated joint ventures but chose to form an incorporated joint venture.


Incorporated joint venture is organised as separate and distinct legal entity. And the entire entity is held in default if any one of the partners doesn’t pay for its share of cost.


With bankrupt Videocon unable to pay its cash calls for exploration and development of the oilfields, IBV faced likelihood of a default and the risk of being booted out.


To save the day, infused $ 53.98 million in IBV in 2019-20, resulting in its share in the joint venture rising to 55.13 per cent, sources with direct knowledge of the development said.


Had BPCL acquired the Brazilian blocks through an unincorporated joint venture – the vehicle that India’s flagship ONGC Videsh Ltd most often uses, only Videocon would have been held in default upon not paying its share of cost. This default would not have affected BPCL.


Sources said in an unincorporated joint venture – which is not incorporated as a legal entity and is only formed by contract – BPCL wouldn’t have risked losing the block if the partner defaulted on payments. BPCL’s stake would have been untouched even if Videocon defaulted.


However, in the model BPCL chose, the entire joint venture risked being labelled a defaulter and risked losing the oilfields.


When contacted, a top BPCL official said the firm’s increase of stake in IBV is temporary and would return to earlier arrangement once the firm that takes over Videocon pays for the default.


Videocon assets are being auctioned to recover bank loans it has defaulted.


BPCL holds 12 overseas blocks through its subsidiary Bharat PetroResources Ltd (BPRL). Five of these blocks are in Brazil, two in the United Arab Emirates and one each in Mozambique, Indonesia, Australia, Israel and Timor Leste.


IBV Brasil Petroleo Limitada (incorporated in Brazil) a joint venture company of BPRL Ventures BV, and Videocon Energy Ltd, step down subsidiaries of BPRL and Limited, respectively, holds interest in 5 blocks in 3 concessions in


In Sergipe Alagoas (BM-SEAL-11) concession, which currently consists of three blocks, Petrobras of is the operator with 60 per cent interest and IBV holds the remaining 40 per cent stake.


During the exploration periods, four discoveries of oil and gas — Barra, Farfan, Cumbe and Barra#1 have been made in this concession.


In Potiguar (BM-POT-16) concession, Petrobras is theoperator with 30 per cent interest, the other partners are IBV (20 per cent), Petrogal (20 per cent) and BP (30 per cent).


In Campos (BM-C-30) concession, BP with 35.7 per cent is the operator and other partners are IBV Brasil (35.7 per cent) and Total of France (28.6 per cent).

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Next Post

Railways generates over million man-days of employment in six states

Indian Railways has generated 10,66,246 man-days of work till September 25 under Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyaan in 6 States including Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh and around 164 Railway infrastructure projects are being executed in these states. According to the Ministry of […]

Subscribe Now